Vet Issues Urgent Warning To Dog Lovers About Popular Treats That Can Choke

Most people love their pets and believe they are doing what’s best for them. But new research shows that one in three of us are wrong when it comes to treating our dogs.

The study found that many of us gave our beloved dogs things they could choke on. And according to practicing TV vets, Rory the Vet, it could seriously injure or even kill the animal.

Rory Cowlam, veterinarian on CBBC’s The Pets Factor, also says that many of us make mistakes about proper nutrition for our dogs. And he calls for more education on the subject, according to The Express.

He also said that many commonly offered items aren’t as good for your dog as you might think. And he even warned against some popular items on sale in most pet stores, supermarkets and stores.

He said: “As a dog owner and veterinarian, I find it incredibly difficult to find a long-lasting, healthy and easily digestible chew for Nala and my clients. I know how important it is to treat your pet to build that amazing bond, but as these shocking results show, a large portion of people are still feeding their dogs dangerous treats!

“Dog owners should stop feeding cooked bones, especially chicken, as they often break and become very sharp, leading to the risk of intestinal perforation and very serious problems! I generally avoid raw skin too – it’s really hard to digest and can cause intestinal and dental issues.

Responding to the Pooch Snax survey, nearly a quarter (23%) of dog owners admitted to treating their dogs to cooked beef bones and cooked chicken bones (18%).

At the same time, almost a third of dog owners (31%) said they “most of the time” choose natural meat treats for their dogs that they think are safe to chew (69 %). The survey also found that nearly 1 in 4 (23%) regularly treat their dog to rawhide – a product that can also cause choking if eaten in large chunks or swallowed whole.

The results also showed that in addition to feeding potentially dangerous treats to our canine companions, our pets also chew on potentially dangerous household items. More than a third of Britons (36%) said their dog had chewed on slippers or shoes, while one in four (25%) said their child’s toys had also been eaten.

Chewing household or everyday objects also has consequences discovered by the survey. More than 1 in 4 dog owners (27%) said it made their dog sick, and 1 in 5 (20%) also admitted that chewing on everyday objects led to a trip to the vet.

A Pooch Snax spokesperson said: “Treats, as part of an overall nutritious diet, are a great way to bond with your dog. They can help maintain healthy teeth and gums and provide a way to express normal chewing behavior.

“However, it’s important that we give our dogs the right kind of treats to avoid unnecessary chewing!”

For more stories of where you live, visit InYourArea

About Chris Stevenson

Check Also

Self-Heating Slimming Fitness Pants Market Size, Share, Top

Self-Heating Slimming Fitness Pants Market New Jersey, United States – The Self-Heating Slimming Fitness Pants …