Belgium flood death toll rises to 31, World News

The number of Belgian residents whose deaths have been confirmed has risen to 31. The devastating floods continue to affect several European countries. Authorities have said they are calling for an end to the rescue operations.

“There is no longer any immediate danger in the affected areas,” the country’s crisis center said on Sunday evening, adding that “the rescue operations are over but search operations are continuing in some areas”.

“Cleaning and estimating material damage are now central concerns,” he added.

Sunday’s death toll marked an increase of four dead from the number reported on Saturday, while the total missing rose to 163.

Police from the southern and eastern regions of Belgium have been dispatched to knock on doors to search for other potential victims in the affected areas.

Many remain cut off from communications after losing their phones or lack of electricity to recharge their batteries, while others have been taken to hospital without identity documents.

Sunshine and warmer temperatures brightened up the picture on Saturday, and water levels dropped to reveal scenes of devastation.

In the worst-hit town of Pepinster, more than 1,000 people had to be evacuated.

More than 37,000 homes were still without electricity and 3,600 without gas on Sunday, authorities said, while rail operator Infrabel said there had been disruptions in nearly half of rail services in the city. nationwide.

(With contributions from agencies)


Source link

About Chris Stevenson

Check Also

China Warns of Political Tensions for US Climate Cooperation | World news

SHANGHAI (Reuters) – Senior Chinese diplomat Wang Yi has warned the United States that political …